Dental Exams & Cleanings
Dental Cleaning & Exams in West Bloomfield
Dental exams and cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are at the core of what we do. This is the time we get to know more about you. We will learn what is important to you when it comes to your teeth and smile, as well as review your health history in order to best formulate a plan to care for your individual dental needs.
Your dental exam is also a great time to share any goals you have for your smile or any dental problems you have been experiencing since your last visit. We can discuss ways to easily improve your smile, from whitening your teeth to straightening them with Invisalign®.
What to Expect During a Dental Exam and Cleaning
We will routinely take X-rays of all your teeth to check for diseases of the teeth and jaw, including cavities and gum disease. We will complete a thorough intraoral exam including an oral cancer screening by looking in your mouth and checking the teeth and soft tissue for any abnormalities. If anything is found that needs treatment, Dr. Fienman and the dental team will review the findings and discuss treatment options that can remedy the situation. Our treatment coordinator will review the financial options with you, and a plan of treatment will be set.
During your routine dental cleaning and exam, our team will:
- Remove surface stains to restore your smile to its whiter appearance
- Remove plaque that harbors cavity-causing bacteria
- Remove plaque and tartar in hard-to-clean areas between the teeth at the gumline, which can lead to periodontal disease if left unchecked
- Take X-rays and intraoral photos to establish a baseline of your dental health and identify any issues that may need treatment
- Perform an oral cancer screening
- Check your bite/occlusion for any disharmonies and TMJ dysfunction